Public Education Bureau
Knowledge And Skills Can Reduce Life And Property Loss
The Public Education Bureau at Sugarcreek Township Fire Department is overseen by a Captain; and provides fire and life safety education programs to all facets of the community. From the youngest preschooler to the mature adult, programs are tailored to the needs of the community. The program is highly visible in the area schools, with curriculum being taught throughout the school year.
Children learn valuable skills, including how to prevent fires, what to do if a fire strikes their home and how to prevent common everyday injuries. Skills are taught to reduce the likelihood of common injuries, including falling, choking, and riding bikes, skateboards and scooters. Fire and life safety education seeks to reduce injuries in all areas, not just fire. Businesses, industry and civic groups also benefit from programs offered to their organization. Fire and life safety educators provide programs to help meet national requirements, to reduce insurance claim losses and to provide for safe working environments.
If you would like to schedule a program for your school, business or group in Sugarcreek Township, please contact us. We require 15 days advance notice.
CPR/AED and First Aid Training
The Sugarcreek Township Fire Department offers courses in CPR, AED and First Aid to the general public. Upon successful completion of the course participants are awarded an American Heart Association (AHA) certification card valid for two years. All classes are 100% classroom training meaning students are with an AHA Instructor for their entire learning experience.
- Heartsaver CPR/AED is a video-based, instructor-led course that teaches adult and child CPR and AED use, infant CPR, and how to relieve choking in adults, children, and infants. This course teaches skills with the AHA's research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which allows instructors to observe the students, provide feedback, and guide the students' learning of skills.
This course is for anyone with limited or no medical training who needs a course completion card in CPR and AED use to meet job, regulatory, or other requirements.
- Video-based course ensures consistency
- Instructor-led, hands-on class format reinforces skills proficiency
- Course is updated with the new science from the 2015 AHA Guidelines Update for Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Emergency Cardiovascular Care
- Heartsaver First Aid/CPR/AED is a video-based, instructor-led course that teaches students critical skills needed to respond to and manage an emergency until emergency medical services arrives. Skills covered in this course include first aid; choking relief in adults, children, and infants; and what to do for sudden cardiac arrest in adults, children, and infants.
This course teaches skills with the AHA's research-proven practice-while-watching technique, which allows instructors to observe the students, provide feedback, and guide the students' learning of skills.
- Heartsaver First Aid is a video-based, instructor-led course that teaches students critical skills to respond to and manage an emergency in the first few minutes until emergency medical services arrives. Students learn duties and responsibilities of first aid rescuers; first aid actions for medical emergencies, including severe choking, heart attack, and stroke; and skills for handling injury and environmental emergencies, including external bleeding, broken bones and sprains, and bites and stings.